Some friends compile an annual review of their favorite music and asked me to contribute. Here's what I had to say about 2014.
Top 10 albums of the year ranked in order.
- Aphex Twin - Syro: This the is Aphex Twin album everyone wanted. Certainly worth the wait.
- War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream: I don’t think I listened to any album while driving around the Midwest as much as I did this one.
- Tycho - Awake: At first Tycho was a Boards of Canada clone, but with this album they finally shake that off and assert themselves as the real band that they are.
- The Budos Band - Burnt Offering: I love listening to music that makes me feel like I’m in a late-70s police chase scene.
- Jungle - Jungle: These dudes came out of nowhere to remind us all that disco wasn’t terrible.
- The Antlers - Familiars: I listened to this a ton then deleted the Spotify playlist and forgot about it. I’m adding it mostly based on the strength of the amazing show they put on at Lincoln Hall.
- Clark - Clark: Pretty heavy and intimidating end-of-the-world music. I dig it.
- Spoon - They Want My Soul: These guys are flawless.
- Caribou - Our Love: A late addition to the list but incredibly catchy.
- Various - Hyperdub 10.4: Another late entry, but a great cross section of music from the legendary London label.
Top 10 songs of the year ranked in order.
The War on Drugs - An Ocean In Between The Waves
A Sunny Day in Glasgow - MTLOV (Minor Keys)
Jungle - Busy Earning
Aphex Twin - minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix]
The Budos Band - The Sticks
Caribou - Our Love
Tycho - See
(this video is bonkers, you should watch it)
The Antlers - Hotel
The War on Drugs - Red Eyes
Spoon - Do You
The Beyoncé Award for the 2013 album you wish you would have included on last year's list.
nothing comes to mind
Your favorite album you discovered in 2014 that did not come out in 2014.
Disc Two of Derek and the Dominos “The Layla Sessions: 20th Anniversary Edition”. It’s all the session players (including Duane and Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, and Eric Clapton) jamming for an hour straight. I love it.
Best concert you attended this year.
Slowdive at Pitchfork this past July. Specifically, this:
Honorable mentions: TWEEDY (thanks for taking me on a date, Brian!), and Tycho at Concord (another date night with BB!).
No honorable mentions.
Honorable mentions: Run The Jewels 2, Yo La Tengo - Extra Painful, She & Him - Classics, Arca - Xen, A Sunny Day in Glasgow - Sea When Absent, Sun Kil Moon - Benji, Future Islands.